From:
Karen Fechter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:59:52 -0500
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:50:51 -0500, Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Ok, round three of the oral problem is happening.  First one in 2002.
Doctor said it was "nothing" and gave me lidocaine.  Ended up in emergency
room with my throat closed up.  2003 I avoid my doctor and go to my
dentist.  He gives me Maalox and an antihistamine.  Doesn't seem to help.
After that bout was over, I did research and thought it was candida or
thrush.  New doctor this morning says without hesitating that I have
Celiac Sprue.  He prescribes the steroid Medrol (methylprednisolone) in
tablet form and over the counter Anbesol.

>Your opinion please.  Should I take the Medrol?

Hi Jim,

Welcome t
o the wonderful world of living with food intolerances - what is
even worse at times if how to live with your doctor(s)!! - I see mine as
little as possible since he is not interested or knowledable about
treatment by diet. Doctors are trained to treat with drugs.

I do not have celiac disease but I have been tested for it - the "gold
standard" test for celiac disease is a biopsy of the duedenum, the small
intestine, to determine whether or not there is damage to the villi. In
addition there is a blood test - testing for certain antibodies in your
blood. If both of these tests are positive you have celiac disease.
How did your doctor test/diagnose celiac disease?
If you had the above test for celiac disease while you were on a gluten
free diet (or almost gluten free) it always comes out negative. In fact
you can be sensitive to gluten w/o testing positive for celiac disease.
The treatment is always a 100
% gluten free diet. This means eliminating
wheat, rye, barley, and oats from your diet - it can be difficult to do
since gluten is a "hidden" ingredient in many processed foods. There is a
lot of help and information on www.celiac.com - also very good information
on "braintalk".

I tested negative for celiac disease. However, I have done a test for
gluten sensitivity with Enterolab - www.enterolab.com - this is a stool
test. You do not have to be on a gluten free diet in order to do this
test. Please, read more about the test on the web site. You can also read
more about gluten sensitivity on Dr. Fine's website www.finerhealth.com.

According to the test with Enterolab I am highly sensitive to gluten and
casein (which is a milk protein). Thus I am completely gluten and dairy
free. I have been diagnosed by my GI with Microscopic Colitis, which is an
inflamation of the colon. This disease is chronic
 and the treatment
options are often drugs that are steroids. I have never taken any drugs
for mine as I am trying to reach remission with dietary changes only.

Often people with celiac disease have trouble digesting dairy because the
enzyme lactase is produced in the tips of the villi - if these villi are
damaged/worn down your body is not able to process lactose. After some
time on a gluten free diet your body will regenerate the villi and the
ability to process lactase; sometimes the healing is not complete and you
will only be able to tolerate small amounts of lactose.

There are many possible symptoms of celiac disease. Your mouth ulcers (I
assume you have ulcers?) could be a symptom of celiac disease, however, I
assume they could be a symptom many other things too.
To my knowledge closing of the throat is not a normal reaction to gluten -
gluten sensitivity or celiac disease is not an allergy thus it shou
ld not
cause swelling of your throat. Your reaction sounds more like an allergic
reaction to me. However, you could have multiple problems - one of them
perhaps being celiac disease.
It sounds like your doctor - the one you saw this morning - doesn't know
how to diagnose celiac. It cannot be diagnosed by looking in your
mouth/throat. I have never heard of treatment for celiac disease with
steroids. What kind of doctor is he/she???????

Many people diagnose themselves. They eliminate all gluten from their
diet - if the symptoms disappear they are likely gluten sensitive.
I strongly recommend Enterolab for testing.

Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Karen