From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:02:38 -0600
>It has to do with your post because you said we're not supposed to eat
>grains, but maybe we have adapted; therefore, maybe we _are_ supposed to
>eat grains.  Here's the quote and URL: "In most respects, the changes in
>diet from hunter-gatherer times to agricultural times have been almost
>all detrimental, although there is some evidence we'll discuss later
>indicating that at least some genetic adaptation to the Neolithic has
>begun taking place in the approximately 10,000 years since it began."
>(http://www.beyondveg.com/nicholson-w/hb/hb-interview1c.shtml)

Actually, I said almost the exact same thing in my posts. I mentioned that
some adaptaion has taken place in some individuals to grain and/or milk.
But, not enough to abandon the paleo diet as the "core" diet. I am
fortunate enough to *not* be lactose intolerant, and I do partake in some
dairy products, but not frequently.

*Some* adaptation is not even close to a ringing endorsement of grains, and
it does not lend credence to the conclusion that we "_are_ supposed to eat
grains".

By the way, the page you referenced is part of a multi-part interview of
Ward Nicholson by Chet Day. There is a lot of ground covered in the
interview, and sometimes you really have to dig. The evidence to which you
refer is located about 3/4 of the way down this page in part 2 of the
interview: http://www.beyondveg.com/nicholson-w/hb/hb-interview2c.shtml.
The interview states that increased adaptation has taken place in
population groups closest to the "fertile crescent" in the Middle East.
Presumably, greater adaptation has also taken place in some Asian areas,
but they are not mentioned in the interview. However, nowhere in the
interview is the suggestion that we *have* adapted to grains, or that it's
OK to eat grains.

Ward used to post occasionally to this list, but I have seen nothing from
him recently. Ward, you still there? If so, please chime in anytime.