BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:06:56 -0600
Ken,

The multiple choice approach is a myth.  No designer can work that way.
  Not all solutions are equal, and it makes no sense to invest time in
alternative mediocre solutions.  So, to my knowledge, schools don't
teach a multiple choice approach, as such.  However, since a studio
full of architecture students facing the same design problem will
produce a wide range of solutions, and most will receive a passing
grade, it does sort of look like a multiple choice approach.  No,
Architecture students are taught to have a concept, vision, or some
other gift that sets them apart from mere mortals (ie. clients, the
public, engineers and contractors), so the challenge is to convince
oneself and one's client that the vision is deserving of a sacrifical
offering in the form of cash.

The client is almost always an amateur.  The service should guide the
client through the design and construction process.  Some bubbles get
burst along the way.  At least that happens to my clients. They don't
teach that in school.  Hell, no one talks about that.

-jc