From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:09:51 -0400
Walt,

Your local Radio Shack carries adapters to go from 25 to 9 pin.  You need a
9-pin female to 25-pin male adapter.  You might also want to get a cable so
you don't have to attach the adapter to the back of your computer.  Those
adapters tend to be bulky, and you may have trouble getting it to fit.  The
reason for the 25-pin plug is that a 9-pin plug doesn't have enough room to
house the circuitry needed to convert from TTL to serial.  When I first saw
that cable, I had the same reaction as you, but now that I know what they
had to do, I understand the reason for the 25-pin plug.  I hope this helps
to unconfuse you.

Steve