From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:45:30 -0500
        I don't know if this is any help, but I wrote a vox recorder
program that runs under Linux and has been working well.  It compiles
with gcc.  Is there anything in Windows such as /dev/dsp?  This is one
of the standard audio devices.  It opens and closes like any file
except that when read from, it produces an endless stream of 8-bit
audio at 8,000 samples per second.  When written to, it produces audio
in your sound card at 8,000 samples per second.

        My program sits there, monitoring the sound card and looking
for samples that are either above or below the normal value for
silence which, in 8-bit audio is either 127 or 128.  Usually, it kind
of hovers around 128 due to noise.  When audio comes in, it opens an
output file called vx followed by numbers indicating the starting time
such as vx0410201121.raw.  It just keeps adding to the file every time
there is more audio until you either kill the process or do a kill
-HUP which makes it close that file and start a new one.

        If Windows doesn't have anything like /dev/dsp, then this
isn't going to help you.  Also, the program puts itself in the
background when running.  I am sure that Windows programs can do that
also, but I bet the mechanism isn't the same.

        Mainly, I found that plus and minus 3 or 4 counts away from
silence is a good sensitivity level and about a quarter of a second
works well as a delay.

        I am not familiar with programming in MS Windows, but the
concepts you have to deal with if you want to roll your own vox
program should be the same.  You need to continuously receive the
audio stream from the sound card and only store the sound plus enough
delay to make speech sound fairly natural.  One neat concept to keep
in mind is that the sampling rate is an excellent time base in your
program.  If you want 8-k audio, 1/2 second = 4,000 samples of audio,
etc.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group