From:
"John J. Jacques" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:24:07 -0700
Hi Jerry.  Handhelds are tipically designed to take a 50 ohm load, so
they will be compatible with external antena's, so the rubber ducky also
has an impedance of soumewhare around 50 ohms.  The look fine to the HT,
they just don't ressinate very well!  GRIN!  All you need to use your
THF6A with any external antena, is a good quality jumper cable, with a S
M A connector on one end, and your connector of choice, usually a PL259,
or SO239, on the other.  You can also get adaptors from S M A to B N C,
but every extra adapter you put on that little S M A connector, the more
likely it might fail.  Sometimes, it isn't the connector that fails, but
the radio itsemf, around the connector.  I had a Standard 558 that had
that problem.  The BNC connector was the tipe that was held down to the
radio by two small sheet metal screweds.  There was hardly enough chassy
there, so the screws would eventually strip out and not be able to be
rethreaded.  I finally had a friend make a small bracket, that mounted to
the back of the radio, and the TNC was mounted to that.Thankfully, most
BNC and S M A connectors are secured by a nut around the connector.  This
is mutch better, except if the nut loosens  and the connector is able to
wiggle around a bit.  I had this happen to a HTX202, causing the center
conductor to break off inside the HT.  NO FUN!  GRIN!

Sorry for getting so long winded!  Hope everyone has a great weekend.

73 and 88 whare appropriate:
John, KG7fa
Echo Link node number:
91232