Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 04:16:52 -0600

John wrote:
   >I know there are people here that do a lot of traffic passing and
   >stuff, I've kind of suffered my way through it but can some one
   >give me like a form or something or a couple examples I can use for
   >reference?  I've been in and out of it for a while now but where my
   >other big hobby isn't working out and with some stuff I'm doing
   >this week, it might come in handy for future use if anyone can help.
THis is a skill every ham should have.  In fact, any ham who expects
to be called out for an emergency should be able to basically put
together formal traffic on the fly.

THe first item is of course the message number.  sOme folks start over
with number 1 every year, some use a variation of the date, for
example today's messages would be 0730, note the zero for users who
don't ahve real screen review capability, as in zero seven three zero.
IF they originate more than one on that day they will label  the first
zero seven three zero one etc.

I just consecutively number my messages and have kept the consecutive
numbers going since I got this five call.

NExt of course is the precedence, i.e. emergency priority welfare or
routine.  All except  emergency are abbreviated using the first
letter.

NExt is  the handling instructions, h x followed by a letter and other
symbols.  I"ll show an example further down the screen with
explanations.
fOllowing this you have the callsign of the originating station.  IF
you originated the message your callsign goes here.  FOllowing this is
the check or word count, the place of origin and the date.
THis is your first line.  Subsequent lines contain the name of the
recipient and address, city state zip and phone.  FOllowing the
heading here is the text, twenty-five words or less please.  IF you've
got to say more break 'em up into separate messages please.
FOllow the text or body with the signature of the person who
actually caused the message to be originated, if not yourself whomever
you originated the mesage for.

NOw here's an example:

271r hxf/20 nf5b arl5 New Orleans la. July 19 2004
DOlores Winget
1718 w. 61st st.
Mineapolis Mn. 55409
612 555 1212
arl forty six  x love
Kathleen and RIchard

Note first off that I changed the phone number.
 LEt's break it down.  THe message number was 271, it was a routine
message.
The hxf meant deliver it on that day, and is folowed by a slash and
the figure twenty.  Since it was sent on the 19th and would be in her
vicinity I wanted it held until the 20th.
THe arl5 is the check count, it signifies that there is an arl
numbered radiogram in the text and that there are a total of five
words.
tHis is folowed of course by place of origin and the date.
AFter this comes of course field for information on addressee.

sOme special considerations about text.  Arl radiograms are written
out as you see, forty and six are both seplled out, makinhg a total of
three letter groups or words.
NOte no punctuation or the final letter x by itself at the end as
that's a break.  I see newbies always doing this.
Btw for those not familiar arl forty six mean greetings and best
wishes on your birthday.
THe text is of course followed by the signature.

FOr folks interested in traffic handling note that you never change a
message in transit.  IF you think you must make corrections add them
after the signature as an "op note" or operator's note.  Anything you
need to correct or append should always be appended as an op note
instead of changes made to the message.

Another pet peeve of mine:  Traffic handlers who accept a message for
relay and don't ensure they have it accurately.  tHis is why sometimes
you'll see a check count with a slant bar and a new figure, such as if
I had said arl4 and somebody down the line counted five they'd write
it arl4/5.  Not acceptable folks!!!  COunt the damn message!  IF you
may have missed something verify it with the station from whom you
received it before you acknowledge receipt of the message.

Traffic handling is fun and rewarding, and an essential skill for the
emergency communicator.  EVen if you're not using arrl standard
message forms but a served agency's format the skills you develop
handling traffic will help you stand head and shoulders above the
average cb rambo with aan ht on each hip and a light bar on top of his
van yelling ten four good buddy.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania