Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:01:20 -0600
I have the 71a.  IT's a user friendly unit, decent audio on tx and rx
both.  HEre are some things I like about it and some things I dislike.

AS w2ajv commented you can't operate both bands simultaneously but you
can do a memory channel set up for such things as a crossband repeater
etc.  I had a 580 Alinco which could operate both bands at once, I
used to like that feature as I could hang on a local repeater while
delivering newspapers and listen to the local police on 460 mhz.
HOwever most times I didn't use the dual operation capabilities of the
radio.

It's quite accessible for the most part.  DIrect frequency entry when
in vfo mode and only a few things such as scan mode etc. that need to
be set in a menu from hell wh ich isn't easy to get into.  A little
sighted assistance when you first get the radio and you're off and
running.

tHere should be an ascii manual on I can work this thing, I sent him
one, and btw folks it's not microsoft word but true ascii text.

WHat I don't like about the radio:

bUild quality seems to be lacking.  Mine had a problem with the latch
for the battery pack right out of the box.  Kenwood solved the problem
but I was without my cool new radio for about three weeks.  <BBummer>
THe belt clip attaches to the battery pack and is supposedly
interchangeable between radios.  IF you buy one order extra belt clips
for each battery pack you own.  wHen you get all the pieces take a dab
of super glue or other such stuff and dab the end of the belt clip
that attaches to the battery pack, that way a belt clip lives with
each battery pack.  IF you use a case with a shoulder holster of some
kind for it ignore the belt clip problem altogether.

I've replaced the keypad on mine, I sepnt more in shipping it to a
friend of mine to effect repairs than I did for the part, spent about
as much having the part shipped too.  I've also replaced the sma
connector.
yOu've read my rants on sma connectors before so we won't even go
there.
It's a good usable radio, easily field programmable. IF you instead on
using the usual windows gui from hell and an interface there's
software for it too.
HOWever you'll find that field programming the 71a is quite handy.  IF
you have the beeps and boops on you'll get a low beep at memory 000.
Since you have direct memory entry using a 3 digit number 000 to 199
just punch up the highest memory you have programmed, switch to vfo
mode, add your chosen frequency offset and ctcss tone and follow the
instructions and you've got a new memory programmed.  EAsily enough
done quickly on the fly.

HOpe that helps you.

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania