Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:27:27 -0600

JOn wrote:
   >I never did like SMA jacks, I've never broken one myself, but I
   >know a lot of people who have, if you change antennas a lot, or
   >really much at all, they just can't take it. A drop, they can't
   >really take, give me a sell installed BNC connector any day though
DItto here!  I had the same thing happen with my Kenwood 71a handheld,
now I won't connect anything but a rubber duck to an sma connector.
I knew I didn't like them when I first saw them.

Even most BNC connectors on handhelds are not made to hang a lot of
weight from.  Be sure if you use an ht for base/mobile work with an
antenna and some coax that you support the weight of the coax
elsewhere than the radio's chassis.  It's just not designed for it.

I had an htx-202 rat shack that I used to use as a base with an
amplifier.  Even with the radio sitting on a little stand I made
connected to speaker mike and power as well as the antenna the bnc
connector failed prematurely and had to be replaced.  STill in my not
so humble opiinion a bnc is a much more robust connector than the sma.

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania