Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 01:39:56 -0600

Phil wrote,
   >two meters in particular since there are so many ham cops on there
   >telling others how to operate their radio, sign off with somebody
   >saying this is K0NX over and out.  The club I am a member of let's
   >me get away with it because I have brought so many new hams into
   >their club.
WHen it's in fun yes, but I'm a stickler on proper uses of pro words
etc. so that people do it right when they're actually operating
something which is the real deal.
wHen I do seminars or any kind of teaching on net procedures and
traffic handling I remind folks that "over and out" may have been
heard in old war movies bu is not correct terminology as over
indicates that I have finished transmitting and am expecting a reply
from you.  OUt means I have finished my communications and expect no
further.

I don't get too bugged about it with casual operations but there's one
guy in my local area keeps using the cop ten codes.  NOw I've found
one thing in my travels as a wandering musician over the years and
that's that the ten codes seem to not be uniform from place to place.
I'm always telling this guy to drop the lingo and jargon as I don't
speak it and use plain English, especially if we're working some kind
of event together.

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania

A good captain is one who is hoisting his first drink in a
bar when the storm hits.