Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:11:18 +0200
8bit
From:
Erik Fridén <[log in to unmask]>
Here's how to end world starvation:

For every one of us 9 million Swedes 93kgs of food gets chucked away every year. That's enough to feed an extra 2 million people! And I bet you even more gets chucked away in the USA, since Americans waste much more than any other country in probably any given instance (about petrol and water I know that for sure). That means the industrial world wastes food that could feed well in excess of 150 million people (and probably upwards of 200 million) "from scratch" as it were. And since very few people go entirely without food (if they do they die) malnutrition could be entirely eradicated. Theoretically, of course.

About the same amount of food could probably be saved every year by not keeping any "non-utility pets". Anywhere.

And if every Swede farmed, hunted and foraged 93 kgs of food a year in their spare time we could feed another 2 million. Obviously this does only apply to those areas of the world where there is enough natural flora and fauna left, and enough room to grow some of your own vegetables.

And how much donated food gets destroyed by corrupt regimes investing in arms or luxury instead of infra-structure?

Rice needs horrific amounts of water to grow. Even though it's not spent, it's still bound up and polluted.

Grain-farming is one of the major causes of erosion in the world. If you keep the most of the meat-raising in areas that can withstand grazing (i.e. plains) instead of de-forested hillsides the long-term damage caused by grazing animals is virtually zero.

And the next big thang in the protein biz will be insect farms!
EF

Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor