Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:25:23 -0400

Thank you to those who responded. I also contacted Hershey. The chef at the
Lodge, where we are staying, has told me he keeps an array of gluten free
substitutes (pastas, etc.) on hand. He has asked that my son and I meet with
him soon after check in to go over menu options. In addition to the gluten
free substitutes he has a few gluten free menu items at each of the lodge
restaurants. So we will meet with him to go over the menus when we get
there, but it sounds like we will be well accomodated. We will not have time
to leave the Lodge, my son's chess tournament is scheduled such that there
does not appear to be extra time from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon.
This is why I didn't want to know about options outside of Hershey
properties. In addition to not having time, it turns that is the one weekend
Hershey Park is closed so options in the park are not available to us.

I was referred to Chef Chad Jaysek (I don't know how his name is spelled) by
Brian Daily at the Hershey Lodge 717 533-2171.

Chef George at the Inn (1-717-534-8861) also emailed me to say he is happy
to offer gluten free alternatives is also available to discuss options
there.

Other people had many suggestions and experiences:

You can go to the PA. Kosher Market on the grounds and have their chicken,
burgers and some of their other salads. Go to their website I think I have
the name right! Or see the link from the Hershey website under their food
vendors. I e-mailed them about what he could have and they DID answer. My
son also had luck with the 100% beef hamburgers located at many other
vendors, apparently they all use the same burger. You can also call Hersey
for a list of all of their vendors, their food and what's in it if you have
the time.

There is an Outback in Harrisburg (about 20 minutes away) - Also a
Fuddruckers right in Hershey. Always McDonalds if you get stuck.

1) Call 1-800-HERSHEY and ask for their list of restauants with their foods
and ingredients. They sent me a wonderful packet which was carefully
researched.
2) There a Kosher food place close to the main entrance of the park. Some GF
items in the park...like Boardwalk Fries. There is a Texas Roadhouse in
Lancaster (about 1/2 an hour east of Hershey) and they have a GF menu which
was recently posted to the list.
3) Harrisburg is about 15 minutes from Hershey and there is an Outback
Steakhouse there - off Union Deposit. -  they have a GF menu online.
4) Fuddruckers in Hershey is pretty easy to stay GF.
5) There is a great restaurant in Hummelstown (2 minutes from Hershey)
called Al Mediteraneo.
I have heard that they are very accommodating for GF dining.
6) Foxes in Hershey is a great store to get GF and Parve foodstuffs. The GF
products are in Aisle 2 and the fresh fruit section. The freezer section
carries Breads, Ice-Cream and Amy's Foods.

We went to Hershey this summer since we just moved to PA.  I don't know
about any restaurants but inside the park you can get Boardwalk Fries (fresh
cut fries in oil ) and you can get a Hot dog from the Kosher stand.  When we
went they did not have any Hebrew Natl hot dogs because I asked but they
told me which Kosher brand they had.  As soon as I asked if It would be
possible to see the label...the owner overheard me and was very helpful. She
let me know that there were no fillers etc.- as she must have read my face
that showed I still was unsure and then she said the magic words...NO
GLUTEN!!  She is a memeber of the allergy network and was very informed. So,
though not the healthiest of diets, my daughter ejoyed a hot dog (including
ketchup from there) and boardwalk fries from the stand nearby. She was quite
happy.  I hope you enjoy the trip.  By the way, the Kosher stand is right in
front so if you are in Choc world you could quite easily run over there.

We've had success at the lodge, at the hershey bear sports club with
hamburger, chips, etc and they are pretty good with the breakfast buffet at
the lodge, fruit, eggs, etc. Also, I think I recall that the fountain
restaurant at the hershey hotel actually has a gf menu.