EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 02:55:23 -0800
I am forwarding this announcement as I think it is worthwhile to our
community.  Please do not write but write
Steve Jacobs.

Contest Announced by IDEAL Group.

Purpose of the contest.

IDEAL Group would like to establish and maintain a free comprehensive
listing of mainstream technologies (technologies that are purchasable at
consumer
electronics, hardware, appliance or hobby retail stores) that are being
used in creative ways to enhance the independence and quality-of-life of
consumers
who are blind, vision-impaired, deaf, hard-of-hearing, have mental
retardation or a cognitive, speech or mobility disability.

How to enter.

Step 1. Document a mainstream technology along with how it is being used
creatively and by what categories of consumers. What follows are a few examples
of the types of technologies and uses we are looking for. Please do not
submit these as your entries. J

* Smartphones that enable people to associate pictures of people with phone
numbers being dialed (cognition).

* Blackberry and Sidekick messaging services (people who are deaf and
hard-of-hearing).

* Cellphones that enable its user to voice dial a number.

* RFID tags to help people who are blind navigate through a building.

* Fluorescent lights used as a transmitter to help visually impaired
individuals navigate hallways.

* Talking medical, jewelry, and consumer products (blind and low-vision).

* Sidekicks, Blackberrys, Treos, and RIM pagers being used to place Relay
calls (deaf).

Step 2. Submit your entry, via e-mail, to

Deadline for submissions.

December 31, 2004.

Amount of each reward is $50.

IDEAL Group will select what they deem to be the top ten winning entries.
Each of the ten winning entrants will receive a check for $50. If there are
multiple,
duplicate winning entries, the entry with the earliest submission date will
be selected.

Follow-up activities and award notification.

IDEAL Group will compile a list of the mainstream "technology uses"
submitted and post it to
http://www.ideal-group.org/contest.htm
by January 15, 2005.  The names of the ten winners of the contest will also
be posted.  Winners will be notified, via e-mail, by January 10, 2005.

Thank you, in advance, for supporting our efforts to create and maintain a
resource that we hope proves useful to many people.

Sincerely,

Steve Jacobs, President

IDEAL Group, Inc.