EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ann Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:01:45 -0400
Hi all,

<smile>  "It's ou, and gawrn that keep her in her place, not her
wretched clothes and dirty face..."

Sorry, couldn't resist.  I have no idea what software might be
available that would work with a screen reader, except that the basis
for speech technology is phonetics.  How did Ray Kurzweil develop his
reading software?  How did Freedom Scientific develop its Eloquence
software.  There must be ways to access the information you need.
After all, the prototypes of speech synthesizers were developed
without the GUI, and many of the developers were and are blind.  I
think if I were going to look into this sort of thing, as a person who
is blind, I'd look at the writings of Kurzweil, and Ron Hutchings and
Doug Geofray.  I'd look to see how Ted Henter did his stuff.  Some of
these folks, most of them, are still well, living, and on the net!

In order to reproduce the correct pronunciation of words by a synthe,
you have to understand phonetics and how phonemes form words.  They
must have got their knowledge somewhere?

I'm sorry, I wish I could be more specific, but that's the kind of
thing I'd look at.  Hey, for basic linguistic stuff, betcha old
J.R.R. Tolkien probably has some papers sitting moldering away at the
Maudlean college! (sp)  Sorry, I can't spell.    Probably has something to do with phonetics.

Ann P.

--
                        Ann K. Parsons
email:  [log in to unmask]