EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Schmetzke, Axel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:13:20 -0600
Hi John and others,

I have several questions pertaining to this discussion thread. Just
yesterday, a (sighted) math professor asked me about accessible
alternatives to math texts that he currently prepares with the help of
LaTeX and then converts into pdf files. If I understand John correctly,
the only browser-readable alternative would be to create the document in
mathML. I have three follow-up questions:

1. What would be a good mathML authoring tool? (I found a downloadable
version of EzMath on the web, but it appears to be an out-of-date
experimental version.)
2. What other accessible alternatives are there if web-browser
readability is not a requirement? Technique 8.2.2 on the NCAM-WGBH site
suggests the use of MAVIS to convert LaTeX into Nemeth Code (math
Braille). Is this still considered to be a viable solution?
3. What would be a good up-to-date article that discusses the options
available to someone wishing to create accessible electronic math and
science documents and that I could recommend, as introductory reading,
to this math professor?

Thanks,

Axel Schmetzke
Associate Professor