From:
Lashelle Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lashelle Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:46:43 -0400

Hi there are quite a few that mill their grain at this Delphi CD Forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start
***
I have a back to basics grain mill.  It is very good for small grains like
rice but I am looking soon to buy one that will do beans as I like the
flavor that beans add to my flour.   I use rice, bean and corn or tapoica or
potatoe starch mixes.. Here is a site that you can look at some.
www.aaoobfoods.com/graingrinder.htm (site didn't work for me)
***
Yes, I got a k-tec mill last year.  I love it.  I mill brown and white
rice, and navy and garbanzo beans from the regular grocery store.  I buy
quinoa from Whole Foods and/or order it from a co-op and mill it into
flour too.  You can mill regular popcorn to get corn flour, but I
haven't yet.

I just use my regular recipes.  I love the flexibility and especially
the cost savings!
***

I only ground white and brown rice, and it worked fine, but was more grainy
in texture than the asian store bought.  It makes bread softer, but I can't
seem to make a cake or cookies anymore
***
There is information about grain mills on my website

www.geocities.com/glutenfreetools

Having a grain mills is nice if you do your own baking.  The grains can be
stored more easily ahead of time, and can be milled as needed when you bake.
They also taste fresher and are more nutritious.
***
I have a Whisper Mill and I mill my own brown rice flour, white rice flour
(I don't use much of this - mostly brown rice flour) and small white bean
flour.  I just use them in my regular recipes as needed.  For bread, I have
my own recipes I use, but would be willing to share them with you if you're
interested.    I have one with rice flours that contains milk.  Another one
with white bean and rice flour, no milk.  I think I like the bean one the
best!  You can actually almost bend it without breaking.

The white bean flour is wonderful - adds moisture to recipes, and is lighter
than the rice flour...I substitute a bit of it in most of my recipes.

They are just called small white beans.  They are about the size of your
little fingernail.  I have seen them in the grocery store by the other types
of beans, usually in about a two pound bag.  I have also seen them around
here (Utah) in 25 pound bags, but I know that bulk bags aren't available
everywhere in the country.   I tried the garbanzo and garfava flour, but
couldn't tolerate them because of the strong "beany" taste.  The small white
beans have a much more mild taste, although the smell is pretty strong when
you're grinding them!  I don't sense a bean taste at all in things I make
with this flour.

I have no problem with you sharing my bean bread recipe.  I have only ever
made it in a bread maker (Zojirushi), but it turns out perfect every time.
Watch the liquid - if you get too much it will fall in the middle.  I
switched measuring cups, and the new one measured differently (more) than
the old one.  Different bread.  I can't believe how much difference a small
amount of liquid makes (the new measuring cups have been banished!  Anyhow,
here's the recipe, and I hope it works for you.  It took me about 8 months
of tinkering with ingredients and amounts to get a recipe I liked, so feel
free to adjust to your taste.  I changed just one thing each time I made it
so I would know how it affected the bread.

 Bean Bread (for the bread machine) from Janet
 Make a mix of:

1 cup light bean flour (I make my own flour by grinding small white beans)

3/4 cup brown or white rice flour (I use brown)

1/2 cup potato starch flour

1 cup tapioca flour

2 1/2 tsp. Xanthan gum

1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. gelatin

3 Tbsp. brown sugar

Combine dry ingredients and mix well.

Mix together:

3 eggs

1/4 cup melted margarine or butter (1/2 stick)

1 tsp. vinegar

1 Tbsp. honey

1 1/2 cups water.

Directions for bread maker:

Put the wet ingredients in the pan first, then place

the dry ingredients on top.  Make a well in the flour

and add 2 and 1/2 tsp. yeast.

You may need to add a bit more water (a tsp. at a time) and stir when it

first begins to mix to ensure that all the flour is combined well.

I bake mine in the Zojirushi at the following settings:

Warm:  15 minutes

Mix:  18 minutes

Rise:  43 minutes

Bake:  55 minutes

Crust:  Medium

A few minutes into the mix cycle, use a spatula to scrape any flour

off of the sides of the pan and into the batter.  The dough tends to

bunch up around the beaters, so during the mix cycle I sometimes

use the spatula to even it out a bit.  Batter should be about the

consistency of frosting, and is VERY STICKY.  At the start of the

rise cycle, I use the spatula to even out the batter and give it a

smooth top before baking.