From:
Jonathan Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jonathan Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:17:19 -0500

Looks like the most popular choice (22 responses) is Mission white corn
tortilla.
You can buy them just about anywhere, at any foodstore.

2 people suggested MexAmerica
2 people suggested Trader Joes
2 people suggested Kroger
2 people make their own with MaSeCa (purchased at Walmart Superstore)
1 person said their favorite "tostada" was Guerrero (red bag)

Many people suggested warming the tortilla to make it more pliable.
You can warm slightly by spraying a pan with cooking oil, microwave,
steam, or put butter on both sides and bbq grill.
One person recommended not storing them in the refrigerator
2 people recommended after heating them, store in a tortilla saver
until time to serve (up to an hour)

Here are 2 other responses I received:

Response 1:
My favorite brand? Homemade. Either buy fresh masa preparada para
tortilla from your local Mexican market, or get the dry powder (I use
MaSeCa brand), and mix them up yourself. Add enough water to the
powder to get a "play-doh" consistency, put between two pieces of
waxed paper, squish (I use a golf-ball size lump between two 9"
Corelle plates), and grill on a *hot* griddle until both sides are
lightly speckled with brown spots, turning once. We used the bottom
of a cast iron fry pan inverted over high flame (gas stove) to get
something hot enough (yes, you want it *hot*).

Response 2:
> I live in New Mexico, so I have alot more choices than you do, but...
> I like Bueno yellow corn the best.  Also, depending how much you like
> cooking, it is easy to get frozen masa (ground corn meal and lime
> (stone)) and a tortilla press and make you own tortillas.  Most store
> bought tortillas are very thin, but IMHO the homemade thicker style is
> much tastier.

THANKS EVERYONE!
-Susie
Crofton, MD