Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:51:00 -0500

Thanks to all who replied.  I received a lot of good suggestions.  It
appears that many have had similar experiences and some even worse.  One
person even went on a hunger strike until they got it right.
  - Bring your own food.  Keep it in a cooler in your room or have some
one bring it in daily.  It could also be kept at the nurses' station.
  - Stick to fruit, baked potato, hard cooked eggs and jello.
  - Have the admitting doctor write "gluten-free diet" in as an order
(they may pay more attention to it.
  - Keep an emergency food bag at home in case you need to bring it with
you.
  - Make an appt. with the dietician ahead of time if possible and maybe
they could personally prepare or check your trays.
  - Have your support group take this on as a project to enlighten the
hospital staff or kitchen staff.
  - When you have a problem  or even in advance contact the patient
representative, hospital director, hospital administrator with written
information.
  - and finally, stay well.
 Hope these help others.  I plan to utilize many of these.  Thanks
again.