Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:04:08 EDT

thanks to all of you who responded with store and restaurant suggestions, and
to the people in the area in general, it was one of the easiest vacations for
me regarding eating. i was wide-eyed in the superstores and even brought home
some treats. all along our trip we stayed at bed n breakfasts and small inns,
where all of the proprietors were versed in the gf diet and made breakfasts
easy for me. we stayed at The Manse in Mahone Bay. dinner was tops at Mim's
Ocean Grill. in Halifax we stocked up at Store Great Oceans Natural Food  and
lunched at the Harborside Market and had a refreshing iced cappoccino at
Steverino's cappoccino's. we got lunch provisions at Joanne's Market for the ferry
ride from digby to st john. at st. andrews by the sea we had dinner at the
Lighthouse Restaurant where those of us who chose the steamed lobster had the best
meal. breakfasted at L'Europe.at the bay of fundy we stayed at the inn at the
cove where we enjoyed gormet breakfasts and dinners.(but don't order the
lobster here-very salty) picked up more provisions at the St. John Old City Market.
in Shediac had the BEST lobster salad (
others had lobster roll) of the whole trip at the lobster deck. we rated them
and this one far surpassed all others.and they made mine separately with
helmanns and with a smile. on to Charlottetown on PEI where we stayed at the inns
on st george(i provided my own breakfast muffin and cold cereal here in the
continental breakfast. dinner at Harbour House was wonderful. One of the best
lunches was here at Piece a Cake (best fish chowder). It was very exciting for
me to have fish chowder in a restaurant. at home it's mostly thickened with
flour. here(in atlantic canada) most places , if they thicken it at all, do so
with rice flour, corn starch, potato starch or just cream.at the root cellar i
bought Rachel's homemade cookies, which were individually wrapped and i enjoyed
very much 'on the road'.dinner at the culinary institute of canada was super.
a stop at karen laronde's booth at the farmers market we picked up chick pea
and artichoke salad which gave us a head start on lunch provisions.as we
headed for bay fortune, we stopped for lunch at windows on the water in montegue
where the salads were delicious. at the inn at bay fortune, dinner was fabulous.
on route to dalvey we lunched in Mt. Stewart, a very tiny village with a very
delicious lunch at the Trailside Cafe. at dalvey by the sea, we had a
spectacular dinner. as we headed toward cavendish, we stopped and purchased delicious
homemade gf fudge from the lighthouse cafe  in the cute little village of
north rustico.  although it was recommended by one of you, we passed on the blue
mussel cafe in north rustico since it was not lunchtime yet. at the Landing in
Tyne Valley i ate the one thing on the menu that was gf-the mussels. everyone
else enjoyed their fried oysters. stayed the night at the West Point
Lighthouse and had dinner there as well. headed back through NB to Ns and stayed in
wolfville our last night before flying back home from halifax. in wolfville we
stayed and breakfasted at the Harwood Inn and dined at the tempest where the
corn and lobster chowder was the best.

as you can see we ate our way through atlantic canada, and had no problem
finding gf food and friendly service. this has been my experience wherever we
have travelled in canada.the people could not be friendlier or more helpful. what
a pleasure. and of course we saw much more on this vacation, than just the
inside of stores and restaurants. i did not mention all the sites we visited,but
instead chose to concentrate on the food keeping in mind the interest of
those on this listserve. thank you all for your input.

marlene