AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Valerie Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:16:54 -0500
Hello All,

I have followed a strand of Google related emails regarding this digitized
book issue. I do believe that several advocacy organizations serving
individuals who have print disabilities have been made aware and are indeed
concerned about the inaccessibility of Google's planned project.

Several of the listserv participants sent emails to Google and were told
that the digitized books would not be accessible. I, myself have inquired
about the accessibility of digitized materials, and have been informed that
this is a problem. Note: my inquiries were not in relation to the Google
project.

As we know, digitized materials pose a challenge to individuals who use
screen readers. Pictures of text are not accessible, and as I have been
learning, it does not seem that there is a good way to combat this problem.

I am always looking to learn. If anyone has made strides in this area and/or
know about accessibility solutions that are addressing digitization projects
across the country, I would love to know. Our library system is embarking on
several digitization projects that at this time, are not fully accessible.

Valerie Lewis

Valerie Lewis
Administrator of Outreach Services
Suffolk Cooperative Library System