Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:57:17 +0100
I went to the dentist today for my 6-monthly checkup.  I do mainly
because I have one very large filling that I like to know is not
falling out of my tooth.  (I lost most of it before- I hate to think
how much mercury I ingested.)  My dentist said my teeth were fine,
apart from some food getting stuck between my teeth.  The only thing I
"needed" was a scale and polish.  This was after at least 6 months of
not brushing my teeth.  Here is my thinking:

For people who have always eaten a paleolithic diet:
-Paleolithic people did not brush their teeth.
-Paleolithic people did not get cavities.
-Brushing teeth is not necessary to prevent cavities in paleolithic
people.

For me (a paleo convert from neolithic food):
-My teeth are the result of eating non-paleo for 21 years.
-The only problem with the formation of my teeth is slight gaps between
them.  (I believe this does not happen with hunter-gathers.)
-I eat a paleolithic diet now, so any further problems with my teeth
must be caused by their non-paleo development (ie the gaps)

For people eating paleo:
-If you have gaps in your teeth, floss.
-If you don't, you don't need any dental care at all (apart from
following a strict paleo diet).

Any comments?