From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 09:21:51 -0700
On Saturday, Sep 4, 2004, at 05:44 US/Pacific, Kristina Carlton wrote:
> ....Because I have other allergies (dairy and eggs mostly), I was
> retested via a
> blood test and 24 foods showed up. Dairy supposedly is not present
> anymore,
> but I have not tried it yet, nor do I plan to introduce dairy into my
> diet.
> It was just difficult to avoid in restaurants because fractions of
> butter
> would cause a reaction. With dairy, I retain a lot of water a few hours
> after I have eaten it and then the next day I am very swollen, I look
> like I
> am pregnant, I have virtually no energy, and I feel nauseous. This
> typically
> last about 24 hours.

FWIW, I put little stock in allergy testing. Allergic responses are a
deep-seated immune system problem, and will change from time to time
depending on the strength of the immune system at that point. Some
foods ARE inherently bad for us, which you have discovered, and others,
which by rights should be no problem, are just marginally reactive. As
health is regained, these sensitivities should wane, and of course the
proper Paleo diet is a major factor in rebuilding health and proper
immune system reaction.

If I were you, I'd look forward to nothing but improvement, and try not
to get  too hung up on what you can eat or not. Of course, there are
many other things in the body that can cause some of the same symptoms,
notably hormone fluctuations which are also a major health indicator,
so now, when you are stirring things up with the diet, I don't think it
would be impossible that some of these reactions are hormonal in
nature. The Paleo diet should also be best at resolving hormonal
levels. Have you had a thorough thyroid workup? Subclinical
hypothyroidism is terribly common, given the abuses women in particular
suffer from poor nutrition and exposure to hormones and xenoestrogens
as well as other drugs throughout their lives.

My advice, once you have all the bases covered, is to just eat well,
and stand back a bit and watch your body go through changes, knowing
that whatever the end result of this, it will mean greater health and a
new point from which to work. Stay open-minded about what should be
good food, not overly fearful of it.

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!