NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:04:06 -0500
  Ok, this might seem dumb to some of you but I want to ask your opinions.  I have an almost 3 year old.  At 13 mos we found out, by experience, that he was severely (possibly ana. though he never had an ana. rx) to milk...and later we found out he was allergic, though not ana. to soy, egg and fish).  He has never tested + to any of them.  He has asthma and EAs.  Well, for some time, on the advice of the gastro, we have been offering him products with limited (like in the last few ingred) milk in them.  He does poop often and it has increased with the introduction of milk containing stuff.  He does not seem upset, no stomach aches, no blood, no rashes....no other issues except he poops a lot...its not diarrhea just soft...and maybe 4-6x a day....so today he had a munchkin.  I didn't notice he had it til it was 1/2 gone and he has had mushy poops, consistent with what I have noticed on days he consumes food w/ milk in them.  I told the GI my feeling is that if poop is the worst thing that happens and he is happy, rash free, gaining weight, and thriving, I am OK with him having some milk containing stuff (as opposed to fighting the constant food battle with him after he was so limited for so long and we finally seem to have some freedom).  She agrees.   Now I am not running out to feed him milk or cheese, but if cooked foods w/ milk products do not  cause any seemingly hurtful reaction, am I harming him??  Again, he never tested + to milk but failed a milk (actual milk in a  cup) challenge a few months back...he has diarrhea and gassiness, lots of mucus, asthma flare, and rashy cheeks (not hives just rashy, slapped cheek look).  If you were me, would you forbid milk containing products due to the poops??  I have even given him pizza (cooked cheese obviously) on occasion in he past 2 months and his only rx was frequent poops...not diarrhea and he is very happy?!  He think pizza id such a treat since he had not ever been allowed to have it prior to the past 2 months!!

  What would YOU do (btw, he has outgrown soy and egg and only other allergy now is fish which we have not challenged so he may have outgrown that too?!)?

  Thanks!

  Nancy

  "Mothers of little boys work from son-up to son-down!"

  "My sons  are my greatest accomplishment and the opportunity to raise them  is my greatest challenge"