Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:42:21 -0500
I have not been a ham as long as many of you guys but about 13 years ago I
decided I had to make some decisions as I could not pay for getting my
antenna work and there was few volunteers. The TV guys wanted 1 dollar a
foot for every climb so I decided to buy my own belt and try it myself. It
all work out as I am still alive but getting to old now but I went up my
tower yesterday about 8 times. I only put up wire antennas and some
verticals. I would  never tacle a beam antenna. I do not recommend this for
anyone else, it is just something I decided to do on my own as I had nno
help. DO NOT TRY IT WITHOUT SIGHTED HELP FIRST AND ALWAYS PUT SAFETY FIRST.
When you climb and you are blind Murphy's law kicks into effect immediately
and everything that can go wrong will go wrong so you have to be very
careful and have the right tools available or it will cost you a lot of
unnecessary climbs. Just thought I would mention this but don't try it on
your own without sighted help the first few times and always put safety
first so you can enjoy the antenna after you have put it up.
 I tried the G5rv antenna that I mention on the list a few days ago and it
did not work to well for me. I believe it is a very good antenna but I think
I have too many things around for it to couple with and I had to much of a
standing wave problem.
 Merry Christmas and Happy Newyear to all.

Best Wishes,

FRED ADAMS W4HC
FIGHT TRUTH DECAY