From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:50:02 -0400
Don,

Synchronous detection is one of those features that sneaks up on you
because it doesn't always seem to do much of anything.  Suddenly you notice
that a station that should be distorted just isn't.  I have noticed,
though, that the AGC doesn't work as smoothly when synchronous detection is
on, probably because the local oscillator keeps it from noticing the
changing strength of the carrier while the audio itself continues to fade
up and down.  I don't have any good sound technical data to support that
theory; it's just my amateur attempt to explain what I'm hearing.

Steve