From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 22:55:02 -0400
Don:

I may be quite late on responding to this post, but here are my two cents
worth.

So far, the most intuitively easy weather radio I have come across are the
Radio Shack models.  They do require sighted assistance, though, since you
have to work through a number of menus to get things set the way you want,
in terms of counties to be warned, and types of conditions you want to be
alerted to.

One radio that has really been troublesome accessibility-wise both for
non-technical folks and blind hams seem to be the older Oregon Scientific
models.  They seem to be very hard to program, and very menu driven with
everything done through pressing various combinations of buttons.

I know this because in my county here in Michigan, the Office of Emergency
Management purchased a bunch of these Oregon Scientific radios for various
public facilities, and we as hams have had a heck of a time helping the
people at these facilities get the radios programmed and working properly.
Also, if you loose power to the Oregon Scientific Radio, and the batteries
are weak, you'll loose all your programmed material--at least that's what we
have found several times.

As EC/RO for my county, I'm very involved in local skywarn activities.  I
run most of our skywarn nets, and enjoy it very much.  I have had no
difficulty at all doing this as a blind ham, especially when I can work with
good weather spotters and observers.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Best 73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ