From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 22:35:58 -0400
Hi Buddy.

Study materials for license upgrades is where I would really like to see
materials in alternative formats, and I have asked about getting these on
CD-ROM.

I admit that I haven't checked on the Handbook in a while so I wasn't aware
that they have that on CD-ROM, and I'm glad to hear it.  I'll have to buy
one of those for my library.

73, de Lou K2LKK
    At 07:16 PM 7/1/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>In what way has the ARRL not made a good faith effort at
>accessibility? (i.e. how do they have "a long way to go"?) They've
>certainly done more than most in this regard:
>
>1. QST has been available in a recorded format for ages, even if it's
>really, really, really late.
>
>2. They have a text-only Web site, www2.arrl.org, which is nice and
>uncluttered and easy to navigate.
>
>3. You can get bulletins and reminders via Email.
>
>4. Contest rules and so on are available on the Web site, may if not
>all in either plain text or HTML. The product reviews are PDF's, most
>of which are mostly readable. Some technical articles, most notably
>the older ones, are not readable and text can't be extracted from
>them, probably because they're scanned images saved as PDF, but the
>newer articles that were originally electronic anyway can have the
>text extracted.
>
>5. The Handbook and Antenna Book, and I think maybe the Repeater
>Directory, are available on CDROM, and I daresay they'd be open to
>putting out more titles in this format if we asked real nice. Don't
>know if they actually would do it, but it can't hurt to ask.
>

>6. Seems to me they've been more than cooperative in making their
>materials available to third parties in order that they get recorded
>(thinking of Handi-Hams here, mostly). Betcha they'd make stuff
>available to the talking book system if someone from there thought
>that having it might be worthwhile. Which brings up a thought; I
>wonder if we approached publications and asked that they contribute
>texts to Bookshare how amenable to this they'd be?
>
>More'n a lot of other organizations would do.
>--
>Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV
>Help us bring our child home! Visit http://ouradoption.brannan.name to
>find out how.