From:
Paul Otto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Otto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:33:35 -0500

Sorry for the delay in posting my summary.  I've been having a problem with
the listserv manager.

I received a total of 10 responses.  None were from medical professionals.
Several are based on the personal experiences of others who also tried to
donate.

Seven respondents indicated that celiacs should not donate marrow.  Most
people cited the danger of passing on CD and related conditions to a
recipient, emphasizing the greatly enhanced risk of infection and illness
in recipients whos immune systems are already severely compromised.  As one
blood center wrote to a potential donor, "a patient will assume the immune
history of their donors."  One respondent was rejected because of risks to
her if selected for stem cell donation (specifically, her possible reaction
to Filgrastim).

In contrast, two respondents argued that genes, not blood, determine
whether one is celiac and that, to put it somewhat crassly, recipients are
better off celiac than dead.

One respondent declined to offer an opinion, simply referring me to the
Delphi Forum for CD, which I haven't yet checked.

According to one respondent, the situation in Canada is somewhat
different.  There, celiacs are not permitted to give blood, which means
they cannot donate marrow either, since one must be a blood donor in order
to register for marrow donation.

Paul Otto
Brooklyn, NY