Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Vicki E. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 18:35:13 -0600

Dear Listmates -
Thank you all for your responses on this.

The majority of  listmates who responded said they take
the Actonel weekly with no trouble. Two listmates had problems with side
effects, one non-digestive symptoms, one digestive symptoms, and do not
take it. One listmate takes it and has increased her bone density with it.

One listmate takes Fosamax instead, with no problems.

One listmate went through an nightmare with both Forteo self-injectable and
with Actonel oral medication. She can't take either.  She reported that
Forteo
is $600 every 28 days. You get a 28-day "pen" that you keep in the
refrigerator
and inject yourself in the abdomen and thigh every day.

No, thank you. Forteo was only in clinical trials 2 years
- not the standard 4 or 5 - and rats developed sarcomas (bone cancers)
on relatively higher doses. It is for severe Osteoporosis, and as a last
resort,
but listmates reported to me that doctors are pushing it,
and not just as a last resort. Judging by the orthopaedist
that I went to (whom I won't go back to), that is correct.

I called the manufacturer of Actonel, and found out the daily is 5 mg.
The weekly is 35 mg, but it is not time-released, i.e., when you take
it, you
get 35 mg into your system all at once. I don't know how long it lasts
in your
system, but considering you get the 35 mg all at once, if I try anything
at all,
I will probably try the 5 mg first to make sure I can tolerate Actonel.

One listmate said to try weight-bearing exercise instead. No side effects.
One listmate takes Premidronate injectinos every three months. I think
that is
an intravenous treatment - not sure.
One listmate tested low on Vitamin D, so she is taking Vitamin D, not
Actonel.

Listmates that also have Fibromyalgia, like I do, reported they are very
reactive
to medicines and experience side effects easily.

Finally, one listmate referred to an article by Dr. Peter Green at
Columbia, that it is
not a good idea for Celiacs to take these medications at all.  This
listmate will be
lifting weights, does walking, uses homeopathic remedies, and
recommended books
by Susan Brown and Susan Love.

I have those books, take Tri Boron plus, do brisk walking daily, do yoga
twice a day,
and teach Yoga for Osteoporosis. I have several yoga teacher
certifications. I teach
Stress Managment Yoga, too. I also go walking in a pool at the health club.

Thank you, everyone. I will use weight-resistance machines, especially
one for hip
adduction (rotating in), to help, continue the Tri Boron plus and
walking, and also
consider trying the 5 mg Actonel (at first) to see if I can tolerate it.

Vicki in Homewood, IL