Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 23:16:48 -0700

Well here it is, the long awaited summary.  I got lots of helpful
suggestions.  I'll divide it into 5 categories:  (1) foods & mechanics
(2) OTC supplements, (3) herbals, (4) prescription drugs and (5) my
ultimate constipation remedy.  I included descriptions & suggestions as
much as possible.

The most sensitive & amusing response I received came from Ayn who said,
"Bless your heart...we constipated celiacs certainly find joy in strange
things, like reading a summary of remedies for our malady."  [Ayn really
nailed it, huh?]

(1) FOODS & MECHANICS
Several mentioned that going GF helped.  [Too bad it didn't for me &
others like me.  The bizarre thing is wheat bran helped before I went GF,
but all other fiber sources, rice bran, psyllium, flax seed, etc.  only
make it worse.  Go figure.  And, I'm allergic to all OTC laxatives & most
of the more laxative fruits such as prunes & apricots.  I avoid
prescription laxatives (Miralax, etc) because of the possibility of more
allergies.]
-----------
Apricots are extremely high in fiber and help with constipation GREATLY.
Check it out on some of the lists.
----------
diet with lots of fruit in it.
---------
. . .my remedy for my perenne constipation is PAPAYA FRUIT. Get Papaya
(is moch better the MARADOL than the hawaiian, but both works), and make
a juice adding some water and put it in the blender. FOr some strange
reasons the papaya in pieces do not work as well as the juice. Drink
Papaya juice evry morning and you may add some orange juice if you want.
I like it alone and is also delicious. You will get result immediately
[Two people mentioned PAPAYA juice & I agree, it is helpful.]
-----------
. . . Since going gf which has helped me immensely, I use corn to keep me
regular and find it works better that anything else.
-----------
Raw natural sauerkraut, the kind with live bacteria. My father and
grandfather used this, and so do I. I eat it every day,small amount, and
I never have trouble. Without it, I frquently had trouble. I make my own,
but it can be bought.
----------
Yes, obviously fiber, in any form, is the best solution.  Brown rice with
the highest fiber content (~2-3g/quarter cup), used as a staple like
bread with one meal a day works great for regularity.
--------------
Mesa sunrise cereal by Nature's Path (twice daily) has worked best for
me.
--------------
Popcorn
--------------
cabbage/cole slaw . . . onions, esp onion soup, sauteed onions, water
-----------
flax seed ground up, apples, mangoes, etc.
-----------
KEFIR - Kefir is very good for bowel function for 3 reasons:  (1) It
provides lubrication.  It forms a smooth mucous like substance in the
bowel, (2) It provides beneficial bacteria & other microorganisms.  These
critters reduce the amount of gas produced.  Gas production causes
inflation of the colon which will interfere with it's ability to move
stool along.  (3) Kefir lowers the pH of the intestinal track.  Lower pH
means it's more acid.  More acid stimulates peristalsis.
-----------
This probably falls outside of the realm of what you're looking for, but
my acupuncturist taught me a spine massage that works like a wonder every
time for my soon to be three year old.  The spinal massage (can't be done
by yourself): Start as far down on the spine as possible, just above the
tail bone. Make "pincers" out of the thumb and index finger of both
hands. Pinch the flesh on either side of the spine/back bone, as close to
the spine as you can get. (Thumbs should be "south", index fingers
"north".) Massage all the way up the spine, without letting go, in a
rolling/kneading motion using mostly the thumbs. Repeat twice (three
times up the spine total.)  There's a little wrap-up type pressure at the
end, but I can't put it  in words... This massage can be done as often as
needed with no harm, as far as I  know.  I am not licensed in any way to
give professional advice.  This is purely word-of-mouth from my end.
Also, when sitting on the toilet, putting your feet up on a foot stool
helps with stubborn bowel movements (probably won't work with serious
constipation, but you never know).
Enemas as a last resort.  See this website for instruction & equipment.
Enemas have been used therapudicaly for centuries.
http://www.enemabag.com/

Now includes pop-up blocker!