From:
Laurie Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laurie Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:25:31 -0500

Thanks to everyone who replied.  The general consensus is that both are GF.  I also contacted both by phone and got confirmation but I appreciate the quick response so I was able to take the methotrexate on Saturday night and not have to wait for the response from Barr labs.  I have taken it twice without any after effects for which I was grateful. I was neither nauseous nor tired the next day.  When I called Roxane (which is listed on glutenfreedrugs.com as a company that doesn't have gluten in its meds), they said their suppliers could change and neither I nor the pharmacist would know their ingredients were different so I need to contact them regularly.  I found this depressing since I take 8 different pills and to check on them regularly is time consuming.  There has to be a better way.  I think I will write to Walgreens and my mail order pharmacy and see if they could work on an easier solution than all of us calling the manufacturers all the time.  So far as Glutenfreedrugs.com, if they had a date associated with the drugs, I think I would feel comfortable using that information.  http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start does have dates associated with much of their information.

Roxanne telephone number is:  1-800 848-0120  Roxane.com

Barr Labs phone number is:  1-800-222-0190 Barrlabs.com

Other information/suggestions received include(my comments in parentheses):

Re:  Prednisone

"As for prednisone, one piece of advice I would have is *take it in the morning*.  It causes sleep disturbances, and I find that if I take it in the afternoon or evening, it keeps me awake... " (Now I know why my dr. said to take in a.m. and it does seem to make me more jittery as well as awake).

A warning from one member that prednisone is very dangerous.  (I am aware of the side effects and it's not great for my blood sugar but I am taking a small dosage and hopefully the early attack on the rheumatoid arthritis will pay off in the long run).

Prednisone can deplete your bones of calcium and cause low bone density.  (I saw my endocrinologist today and will have a bone density scan to see where I'm at now.  I have been on Fosamax for 4 years and 2 years ago it was improved.  I'm hoping between the GF diet and exercising, it's much improved).

"If you're on prednisone long-term (more than 3 weeks or so), even at 2.5 mg/day, be sure to take extra calcium, btw."

Re: Methotrexate:

"You might want to consider doing self-injections of the methotrexate.  I started on mtx in pill form, but finally the dr. told me I could take the liquid form in water (by mouth) and it would be a *lot* cheaper (I didn't have insurance at the time).  After about a year on the drug, I got very, very nauseated by it, and started injecting it (subcutaneously) instead.  *much better* if you inject it, you wouldn't have to worry about GF status..."

"Another thing about methotrexate...  I started losing my hair.  Not in
clumps as with cancer chemo, but it was definitely thinning.  The doctor put me on 3-5mg (not mcg!) of folic acid per day, and that stopped." (my dr. prescribed 1mg.)

"Nature's Blend Folic Acid 1 MG (1000 MCG) is gluten free if your pharmacy doesn't have a GF version."

Regarding RXs:

Someone remembered a note from a member who stated that a pharmacist friend told her that Walgreen's had a listing on their site of GF prescriptions which only the pharmacist could access.

Ask your pharmacist the name of the generic prescriptions they use. Most pharmacies use only one company then you can call that manufacturer and ask them for the information. Do not rely on the pharmacist to find this info for you.

See message Item #17493 (14 Dec 2001 15:01) - Summary: Knowing GF Status of Presciption Meds Before Paying   Here is some good advise about RXs including - ask your doctor to write on all prescriptions, "Medication must be gluten free."  The pharmacist may check before they fill the order.  Still be sure to ask when you pick it up.

General Suggestions/support:

"Fish oil may help reduce inflammation and I believe there have been some positive studies with it in relation to Rheumatoid arthritis"

Some support from others with multiple disorders - thanks it helps to not feel alone!

Someone suggested that I should be eating more frequently anyway.  I should have said I eat all day but forget to take meds or vitamins at that time.  I have been diabetic for almost 31 years and on the pump for 5 years but with adding in the gluten free diet in January and RA pills in July, along with being fatigued, I have a hard time remembering everything!

"Costco's Kirkland brand ibuprofen works as well as Celebrex and Vioxx without side effects".

Someone suggested to ask questions at this other excellent site:  http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start

Thanks to everyone.

Laurie

Illinois