From:
Lindsay Amadeo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lindsay Amadeo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 22:19:05 -0500

Thank you to everyone that wrote about the impact of a gluten free diet on
thyroid antibodies (autoimmune thyroid disease).  The results were split
with half of respondent reporting their antibody levels decreased while gf
while the other half did not see any results from the diet on their thyroid
levels.

There were several cautions about the links between autoimmune thyroid
disease and celiac.

Lindsay

Specific comments:

· I've had Hashimotos for 6 years and was diagnosed with CD 3 years
ago.  After being on the GF diet my thyroid antibodies were as high, if not
a little higher that before going GF.  There is good treatment for
Hashimotos (Synthroid) I would stick with that.
· After going gluten free, my wife's thyroid meds had to be changed
because her thyroid calmed down.  After reducing the soy intake in her
diet, the symptoms subsided even more.
· 2 1/2 years ago, I accidentally ingested gluten that was hidden in
Lawry's seasoned salt for five months.  During this time, I was extremely
tired & exhausted and depressed.  I went from doctor to doctor trying to
find the cause.  Every doctor tested my thyroid levels, which got lower &
lower during this time. When I finally discovered & eliminated the source
of the gluten, my thyroid levels began to rise!  Of course, my energy
levels also rose!

· I do have a friend with a celiac child.  She tested negative on the
celiac blood tests but felt she had slight celiac symptoms.  She has an
overactive thyroid.  She went gf and after a few months told me that her
thyroid numbers were the best she had ever seen.

· No impact after about 3 years GF, I was diagnoses with Hashimoto's
about 1 month after going GF.  Synthroid has not been lowered at all. In
fact, had to raised once.  I think the damage was done already by the time
I was diagnosed. I hope it will not get worse since overall autoimmune
system has calmed down now.

· I was at a conference on CD and the doctor said if she has anyone
with Hashimoto's she automatically assumes they have CD. She then does test.

· Your risk with elevated thyroid is still over 1% and with
Hashimoto's could be as high as 5%. Many good endocrinologists suggest a CD
test anyway with autoimmune thyroid disease.  There is some (mainly
anecdotal) evidence that a strict GF diet (and thereby control of gluten
anitbodies) for celiacs with Hashimoto's reduces loss of thyroid function.
That has been my experience and after 3 years.  I know others have also
found less thyroxine is needed after a CD diagnosis and GF diet.   There is
not much clinical research on this yet.