From:
Lisa Cash <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Cash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:35:38 -0500

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post asking about liquid and
powdered vitamins.  I’m sorry for the extreme delay in posting the
summary – things just got busy around here!  Some listings are for either
pill or gel capsule vitamins.  I’m including some detail in the responses
rather than just listing the company names because I think it may be
helpful for anyone else shopping for vitamins.

1.  One person warned to:  watch out for iron, if you carry one or two
genes for iron overload, iron containing supplements can make you
nauseous.  It would be worth your while to find out whether supplements
with no iron in them leave you feeling ok.
The reason this is so important is that the duodenum is worst damaged by
celiac, and it's the place where we absorb iron.  If you get that healed
up,
genes for iron overload then really can show their stuff .  We have a
celiac on the hemochromatosis support group, and he's talked about this.

2.  Nature's Made multivitamin - it states on the side that it contains no
gluten... I buy them at Kroger, but I think Walmart carries them too!

These are vitamin "pills", but I have not had any trouble with them: Nature
Made.  It even says gluten-free on the label.  They are carried by KMart
and
grocery stores.  I take a multi-vite, B12 (grain products is where I used
get my B vitamins - gluten-free "breads" are not fortified), E and calcium
from Nature Made and have had no problems with any of them.

3.  After trying many different vitamin supplements, I found Nature's Path
vitamins which I could tolerate which is a gel capsule with liquid inside.

4.  I LOVE Carlson Laboratories!  They clearly list all major allergens in
both their catalog and on their website.  The website is great!  There you
can enter all your allergens and when you search for a particular
supplement, they will give you info only on those that fulfill your
needs.  It is great for me as I am gf, dairy and sugar free, plus have
multiple other sensitivities.  I don't know whether you can take gel caps,
but I am very sensitive to most supplement types and am able to tolerate
them well.  I take the Carlson's Super 2 Daily multiple vit/min gel caps.
I have no financial interest in this company.  If you are interested, this
is their web address: http://www.carlsonlabs.com/index.wu

5.  Pioneer makes a good chewable vitamin and all products are GF website
is www.pioneernutritional.com    I, too, have problems with many vitamins
until I found Pioneer Chewable Vitamins for Adults and Children. They
taste good, have no gluten or any harmful chemicals like alcohol sugars,
etc. I find them easy to eat (chew
and swallow), and get no reaction whatsoever

6.  Gary Null’s products are GF at www.garynull.com or chain stores called
Vitamin Shop

7.  Trader Joe’s sells GF vitamins

8.  I've always had good success with TwinLab's vitamins.  I have a tender
tummy, too & Twin Labs vitamins have never upset my tummy.  They
manufacture high quality GF vitamins at a reasonable price.  They even
have one that is specifically designed for
people with sensitivities & allergies.  I think it's called TwinLabs
Allergy Caps.  I personally prefer TwinLabs Daily One Caps.  They are
available at most health food stores which is where I buy them or
http://www.twinlab.com/

9.  Eating enough when you take a vitamin makes a huge amount of difference

10.  One said that Centrum liquid is NOT GF

11.  We are using the nutritional supplements produced by a Canadian
company called Environmed Research and have found them to be very helpful
in our healing.  They include vitamins, minerals and amino acids.  Their
website is www.alphanutrition.com

12.  The vitamin I am on is called Omni 4 through Omnitrition
www.omnilifestyle.com

13.  I use the Centrum chewable vitamins with no problem, and all the
Centrum are gluten-free

14.  I like the ones available from HSN.com, made by Andrew Lessman.  They
are gluten and dairy free (as well as no preservatives, dyes, etc),
dissolve great, and I think for good quality items the prices are
comparable.

15.  I too am having trouble with vitamins.  The only ones I've found that
I don't have either a gluten reaction or indigestion from are
children's "Gummi-Vites". I get mine in Trader Joes, but I'm sure you can
get them in lots of places

16.  I, too, had massive nausea problems for about 3 years before
diagnosis. But
when I began taking megadose vitamin B12 (on MD's advice - my level was
low) -
the nausea stopped!!! I began the vitamin therapy about 6 months before I
got
the CD diagnosis, so my nausea ended even before I went gluten-free. I
take
the Long's brand vitamins, which are labeled as gluten-free.
(www.longs.com)

17.  Drinkables liquid vitamins, minerals and calcium that are all gluten
free and you can get them at most grocery stores -- I think even order
them online.

Drinkable liquid supplements with coral calcium vitamins and minerals
liquid drinkables for support of joint care

WWW.drinkables.com

18.  The liquid form is way better, as our system absorbs it more easier.
I take multivitamins Centrum, pill form but if you find a liquid multi-v.
it is o.k. too.
I take calcium with D and magnesium liquid form.

19.  I've been using the Freeda brand which I order on-line
www.freedavitamins.com