Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 14:37:04 -0600

Here's the scoop about testing for gluten:

I called the CFIA.
In Canada, the ELISA test is used. It can detect gluten to a level of 10
(ten) ppm.
However, it is only reported at 20 ppm. For instance if a GF bread sample
tested at 12ppm, they would allow it to be labelled GF. But if it tested at
22 ppm, it would NOT be allowed to be labelled GF.

In the US there are currently no standards for GF labelling.

Here is a response from :
Andrea Levario
Co-Chair, Legislative Project
American Celiac Task Force
www.celiaccenter.org/taskforce.asp
- The FDA (US) has not established a standard for 'gluten-
free'.  It is one of the things we hope will occur AFTER the
passage of H.R. 3684, the Food Allergen Labeling Consumer
Protection Act.

It was also mentioned that the reason people think the US standard is 200
ppm (which it is not --- there is no standard) is because 200 ppm is the
limit set by the Codex Alimentarius Commission,  www.codexalimentarius.net
which sets a limit of no more than 0.03% wheat protein, which equates to
about 100-200 parts per million (ppm) gluten. The Codex is an international
commission that sets standards and reference points. It does not enforce
these standards, just recommends them.

Janice.