Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Christiane T." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:02:50 -0400

Thank you to all that responded.  I appreciate your creative ideas and
recipes, and
look forward to trying them.  I am posting the various tips, ideas,
and recipes I received in 2 parts.
----------------
"As far as tips, Rebecca Reilley's book Gluten-Free Baking has recipes
for baklava and strudel using her version of strudel.  I haven't tried
them yet, but some of the techniques might be adaptable.  Another idea
is to search the archives:  earlier this year a vendor for gf
spanakopita shared her recipe for phyllo dough on this list.  You can
access the archives at
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=celiac  "
----------------
"One of my favorites is very easy to make and tastes wonderful.  I just
adapted a favorite recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook.  It is a cream
puff pastry which is spread on top of two long pastry ovals on a cookie
sheet, baked, and then frosted, topped with sliced almonds, and sliced
crosswise.  It looks elegant, and is yummy!  In the Betty Crocker Cookbook
it is called Danish Puff.

I've experimented with different gluten free flour mixtures.  Originally I
used 1/3 cup potato starch and 2/3 cups fine rice flour.  Lately, I've used
whatever I have on hand (Betty Hagman's four flour bean mix, Bob's Red Mill
All Purpose GF Baking Flour, or any other mixture which can substitute cup
for cup for wheat flour in traditional cake, quick bread, and cookie
recipes).

Danish Puff Pastry

Recipe By     : Joan Van Loozenoord
Categories    :

    1/2           cup  butter -- softened
 1                cup  gluten free flour
 1           teaspoon  xanthan gum
 2        tablespoons  water -- cold
    1/2           cup  butter -- chilled
 1                cup  water
 1           teaspoon  almond extract
 1                cup  gluten free flour
 3              large  eggs

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Cut 1/2 cup butter into 1 cup of gluten free
flour and xanthan gum.  Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of water over the butter and
flour mixture; mix; divide into two balls.  Pat out each ball into an oval
(about 12 x 3 inches) onto an ungreased baking sheet, side by side, about 3
inches apart.  Set aside.

Heat 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup water to a rolling boil.  Remove from heat and
quickly stir in the almond extract and 1 cup of gluten free flour.  Stir
vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a ball, about 1
minute.  Then beat in the eggs, one at a time.  Spread the mixture over the
two ovals on the cookie sheet, making sure to spread it evenly around the
edges.  Bake for 60 minutes or until the topping is crisp and light brown.
Frost with confectioners' sugar glaze and sprinkle with nuts.

For confectioners' sugar glaze:  Mix 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 2
tablespoons softened butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1-2 tablespoons warm
water until smooth and spreading consistency.
Source:
 "Adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook"
Yield:
 "12 pieces"