From:
Jerry Stegenga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:44:18 EDT
In a message dated 8/14/2004 11:13:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Just out  of curiosity, how did you come to choose a low-carb regimen to
control your  diabetes? Did your doctor recommend or approve it, or did you
come up with  that on your own

About 20 years ago when Ames brought out the first Glucometer I purchased
one and realized that I could now see how foods affected my BG levels. I had by
that time ( I had been a type 2 diabetic for 20 years under poor  control)
began to suspect different foods caused different reactions. By  testing before
and after each meal I was able to test my theories. I would eat  the same meal
and vary only one item to see the difference. It did not take long  to see
that carbohydrates were the main problem, especially bread, cereals and  starchy
vegetables. Over the next 5 to 10 years I studied nutrition and refined  my
diet regimen. Actually I am still making minor changes. When I approached my
Doctor on what I wanted to do he said " I don't care what you eat as long  as
you keep your BG levels below 180 mg/dl. I was on 28 units of insulin per day
at that time and after 2 months on my new " L-C " regimen I did not need any
insulin. When I finally told my Doctor He was very unhappy and called me
noncompliant. Today I have a GP Doctor who admits I know more about MY diabetes
than he does and will write the prescriptions I need and leaves the treatment
to  me. He says that from my annual physicals he wouldn't know that I had
diabetes.  Well, that I how it all came about.     JerrySteg