From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 16:24:59 -0500
Wally> Careful Jim. I thought the same thing a few years ago. I seriously believed
> Arthur Jones' philosophies regarding specifity of training, and I figured I
> would be able to jump right back on a bike after years of high intensity
> weight training and be able to pick up right where I left off many years
> earlier.
>
> Boy, was I surprised. True, I re-adapted to the bike much more quickly than
> I would if I had been sedentary, but it certainly wasn't "easy". Same
> results with a backpacking trip a couple years ago. Even though as a youth
> I "lived" on a bike, and backpacked hundreds of miles, I revisited muscles
> I apparently had not used for years :)
>
> I suggest you do some specific training.

I hear what you're saying, Wally, and have experienced the same effect with, say, throwing a baseball.  I ended up sore after playing catch in the front yard the other day with my oldest son.  And, in an example that I guess reinforces the real point I'm trying to make, on somewhat of a whim, I ran the nine miles around White Rock Lake here in Dallas last spring without any training whatsover and ended up a little sore.  But I guess, though, that biking is similar enough to the leg presses/squats or hip adduction/abduction exercises that I do that I ended up with no negative effects after pounding out an hour and twenty minutes worth of Lance Armstrong induced power racing up and down hills last week.  I was cranking it up hills like the old racing days of my late teens.  And, although the next day I was physically tired and had to take three days off of my training regime (which I would have done with weight training anyway), the ride had absolutely zero effect on me.  Again
 , I am convinced I could go right now!  Very very cool.