From:
Tad Glines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 15:27:23 -0400
> Bridgeland Thomas wrote:
>
> I do have one question regarding insulin and fasting glucose. Insulin
> is raised when you eat starch/sugar, of course. But it is also raised
> if you eat a high protein meal even with low carb. So, my question is,
> if your goal is low insulin/low blood glucose, wouldn't a diet where
> the energy comes mainly from fat be best? That is, low carb, low to
> moderate protein, high fat.

I was under the impression that protein was converted to glucose "on
demand". That is, it only happens if there isn't enough carbs available to
meet the body's glucose requirements.

If I eat a lot of fruit I'll experience a glucose crash about an hour
latter.
However, if I eat a big steak I don't experience this crash.

-Tad