BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pre-patinated plastic glass block w/ coin slots <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:35:01 -0400
In the early 1980s, when festival marketplaces were all the rage and just
before I got to Raleigh, they had Cranston from Pittsburgh on the hook as
the developer for the 1914 City Market building and environs. Bids came back
to remove asphalt from the cobblestone streets, too high. So the Appearance
Commission (a uniquely NC beast) coordinated a "Street Busting" community
festival, and all the citizens came out on a Saturday with their garden tool
pick axes and pulled up all the asphalt in a day to be slung into the
city-provided front end loaders and hauled away.

At the dedication, the Mayor described his joy at being able to drive down
the streets going "bumpety-bump."

Dan