VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Senk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Senk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 04:42:44 -0400
Like other list members, I had not heard of residential fiber optic
Internet service.  I became curious after Lisa McManus' recent post.

Try a Google search for "verizon fios" for description and reviews of
their new service.

And someone should explain how Fiber-Optic Internet Service was turned
into the acronym FIOS...

-- excerpt from a Verizon site --

Verizon FiOS is the latest in fiber-optic technology. It delivers
laser-generated pulses of light, riding on hair-thin strands of glass
fiber, all the way
to your front door. When FiOS meets your computer, you can get broadband
Internet at blazing-fast speeds.

Experience speed like never before. Forget about time spent staring at
progress bars or watching the clock. You'll be flying around the
Internet in no time
with the speed of FiOS. Buying and downloading feature films and
CD-quality audio. Video chatting like it's instant messaging. There's a
better Internet
out there. It's FiOS.