From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 23:35:27 -0500
Dean Esmay wrote:

> If I might say, this is an awful lot of dialog over the effects of two
> ounces of coca-cola for a single religious ritual.  There are no "alien
> proteins" in coke, all it is is carbonated water (which can be found in
> nature, BTW), and a few teaspoons of sugar--basically almost pure fructose.
> You may not feel too well after it but I doubt you'll get incredibly sick
> or undo months of progress because of it.  If you want to blunt the effects
> of it, have a large meal full of protein and fat before you ingest it, as
> close to the event as you can (i.e. have a stomack full of food) and avoid
> any fruits that day.

Don't forget that Ames' study of carcinogens lists corn as the number
one carcinogen in the Standard American diet. This is because of the
incredibly carcinogenic effect of aflatoxin, a mold which grows on corn
and cannot be eliminated. Aflatoxin is approximately 200 times more
carcinogenic than PCBs. Ames shows that the carcinogenic effect of a can
of cola is much greater than smoking a cigarette. If you have to choose
a forbidden fruit of which to partake, corn and anything made from it is
probably the worst.

It is worth repeating that the chaotic nature of the human body means
that small inputs can have large effects.

Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Co-author, NEANDERTHIN: A CAVEMAN'S GUIDE TO NUTRITION