From:
Grant Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 03:09:06 -0700
"The pygmies don't have the way of thinking of human beings.  They're
always backward, and they don't want to farm."

Pygmies are Hunter-Gatherers who live deep in the jungle, moving from
place to place instead of settling in villages.  They hunt with spears,
bows, arrows and nets made of vines.

When going off on hunts they wear only traditional loincloths made of
leaves. Few pygmies know how old they are.

Life is changing in the pygmy villages, and a growing number are
planting little vegetable gardens of cassava, sweet potatoes and other
crops to supplement their diets.

A village chief, Asokao, said "I started planting three years ago.
Hunting was our tradition, but it was not enough."

Antelope, monkeys and other game are disappearing -- a humiliating
retreat from traditional ways by a peoples who are less than 5 feet tall
and who have previously shunned farming in favor of running about in the
woods trying to spear animals.

Makes you want to do something, but what?

--
Grant    [log in to unmask]  SUPPORT GROUPS at:
STONE and SPEAR    http://www.mountain-inter.net/~magnuson/