From:
Xenu's Sister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 23:29:50 -0500
At 04:17 PM 6/24/97 -0700, Grant wrote:

>The only thing I'm pretty sure of now is that NeanderThin, between you and
>me, isn't worth the paper it is written on, I'm pissed off with it and I've
>gained 15 pounds -- the more I try to follow it the worse it gets and the
>worse I feel

That's pretty harsh. I gained 15 pounds on Atkins
this last time, and lost them once I switched to Neanderthin.
I don't go around saying that Atkins isn't worth the paper
its written on. I don't think that would be quite fair.

Still, I must say I'm considering switching to something
else. I don't know what. I weighed 234 when I started
Atkins back in February. I went up to 249 thanks to all
the cheese and cream. I switched to Neanderthin and lost
that 15, sure, but now I fluctuate between 230 and 232.
It's frustrating to have been "dieting" for over 4 months
and to only lose 2 pounds total.

Thing is, I do believe in Neanderthin as a *way of life*.
It makes complete sense to me and it's something I
can live with (maybe not 100%, but 95-98%) for the
rest of my life. My thoughts have been to switch to
something else, try to find what works for me to lose
the weight I desperately need to lose, then eat the
Neanderthin way for the rest of my life.

My biggest problem mentally is knowing (thinking)
that I'd go absolutely nuts on a low fat diet, both
in the food choices and because I've honestly come
to believe that grains, dairy, beans and potatoes
are extremely unhealthy. I don't *want* to go back
to eating them. But if 2 major low-carb diets didn't
work for me, there's little reason to believe that
any other low-carb diet will work. I don't know
what else I can turn to. I'm in limbo.

Until I decide what to do, I'll stick with Neanderthin.
I don't blame the diet at all. I don't blame Atkins
either. I lost 50 pounds on Atkins years ago, and
I see my boyfriend doing quite well on it (he's lost
nearly 40 pounds so far). My situation is very
different now from what it was when I lost before.

The only thing I know for sure is that once I do
find something that works for me, I am never
going to gain the weight back. I never again want
to be a yo-yo dieter. It's too hard on my body,
and it's absolute hell on my psyche.

Anyway, I do understand how you feel, even though
I think you're being unfair to call Neanderthin worthless.

Vickie

"Words are really beautiful, but they're limited.
  Words are very male, very structured.
   But the voice is the netherworld, the darkness,
   where there's nothing to hang on to.
      The voice comes from a part of you that
       just knows and expresses and is.
   I need to inhabit every bit of a lyric,
    or else I can't bring the song to you--
            or else it's just words."    Jeff Buckley