From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:31:13 +0900
On Tuesday, August 24, 2004, at 05:04 PM, Eva Hedin wrote:

> So people would say "She died and she was never a
> healthy child - always had a bad tummy"
> Left to be "evolutionary fit" were those who could tolerate milk and
> the
> evolutionary effect is that Swedes in general can drink milk in
> whatever
> shape it comes. Mind you, I don't say we should but we don't get
> acutely ill
> from it.
> What is happening now in Sweden may be something like what happened
> around
> milk. People are ill here, exausted, having pains, getting obese, being
> anorectic. Fatigue disorders are common. We have many new products

Boom. Eva hits it on the head.

I suspect Middle Easterners tolerate grains a lot better than Northern
Europeans do, for that reason. I would love to see a real study done on
this. My own people were Scots and North English before jumping the
Atlantic a few generations ago. Grain would have been oats or rye, not
wheat. Even in America we were north of the wheat belt, probably corn
eaters until 1900 or so. I doubt many of my ancestors ate much wheat
except as holiday treats before my grandfather's generation.

So what did paleo Scots eat? I still eat oats once in a while,
especially in winter, or in cookies.