From:
Mary Anne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:33:17 -0500
Igor Chudov wrote
> Milk is something that all mammals produce by definition, and it is
> edible in its raw form. (just as I drank it when I was  a kid). It
> does not require cooking to be eaten.

    If it's raw, it should be okay.
    But, what was pointed out is that the raw milk of each species is
intended for babies of that species until they are ready for solid foods -
no matter what species we're talking about.
    Most of the milk we are facing in the US is pasteurized - which means it
is cooked. The temperature is set so that the beneficial enzymes that would
help in its digestion are destroyed. Then the "powers that be" declare it to
be safe. Homogenization alone probably creates enough heat to change the
milk to a non-useful state, even without the "benefits" of pasteurization.

Mary Anne Unger