Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:09:31 +0100
Richard wrote:

"Re: Chelation
Andy Cutler's mercury plan is what I'm basing my treatment on. I don't
have the time or inclination to stuff around with natural remedies
which are rumored to work. I want a fix and I want it now!
The treatment involves DMSA, ALA and supplements. Another link:
http://www.whats-going-on.net/Andy_dose_sched.html "

Hi Richard,
Have read your posts on this subject and the links provided by yourself and others with interest. Looking back, I think it's possible I may have some mercury-related problems too! I know I suddenly got a lot of fillings around the age of 18-20 and plus (especially after my 2 pregnancies, when my teeth seemed to fall apart although I was taking calcium tablets!), after having had only a couple until then, and that it seemed to require a lot more effort to concentrate and do well academically or at work after that, compared to a very high concentration ability and academic performance before that age. The other mercury-related symptoms I related to were digestive problems (I have IBS, greatly improved by paleo but still a problem, especially when running) and tinnitus (high-pitched, associated with tested loss of hearing at this frequency in the ear affected), which has afflicted me since a series of  middle-ear infections in my late twenties (l also had a root canal treatment
 unfortunately at around the age of 24) and which I am in fear of getting worse, as I have just had 2 middle-ear infections this year, the first for a long time.

After suffering from the after-effects of Glandular Fever for many years, I had all my amalgam fillings removed about 6 years ago and replaced with porcelain, including a crown over the tooth with the root-canal - no really dramatic health improvements from that, but I didnt have a comprehensive mercury-detox treatment (just a few vitamins for awhile I think). However, nowadays with exercise and paleo-eating I am certainly in far better health than before, and my concentration is better too, though still not what it was at school. At this stage I'm reluctant to pull that root-canalled tooth as there seems to be so much argument over this issue, and it is a double back tooth important for chewing, and replacement options dont sound great.

It's depressing to hear that paleo-eating, even the most strict, doesn't seem to fix people's teeth with problems like mine! One other tooth-related dietary factor for me may be silicon - I am a nail-biter and sometimes a hair-fiddler, and  a naturopath told me in my 20s to take Blackmores silicon supplements to stop my nail-biting. To my amazement it worked and it always has BUT I have to take it all the time so havent always done that, plus I am currently living in France. I also saw a homeopath in my 30s and he diagnosed my "constitution type" as "silicea" and prescribed the associated remedy - I was amazed at the dramatic effect it had, even at what he said was a fairly weak dose. The nail-biting (which had been reasonably under control due to sporadic silicon supplements) became crazy, and I also became INCREDIBLY indecisive (something that has also plagued me at times!) and furious at my parents for every possible wrong of my childhood!  I had to rush out to get silicon
 supplements and immediately stop the "silicea" as its effects were intolerable - the naturopath said I'd have to take the weakest dose possible but I never got around to it. In homeopathic theory that should "cure" me of this problem permanently if I persist with it, but I'm a bit scared of the consequences! I also read that this constitution type is prone to weak teeth, which is why I'm relating the story here.

I've just started taking the "Silicea Gel de Silice" here to see if it helps anything. If it's true that I have a congenital deficiency of, or need for, silicon, I guess I can't expect the paleo diet to fix it, as food sources of silicon seem to be unreliable. I do eat quite a lot of seaweed to try to get a good range of minerals, and a lot of organic veggies, berries, meat, eggs and walnuts, plus wild salmon, so I think my diet is pretty good.

I havent seen a dentist for years as my husband hates them, we've been travelling a lot and I think they often do more harm than good. I just try to practise good dental hygiene, dont eat between meals and eat paleo - BUT after using the Braun Oral-B rotating toothbrush for several years to clean around the gumline as they say you should, I found the circular motion seemed to be causing gum recession (dentists would no doubt say its my lack of dental visits that are the problem, but my gums arent red and there's virtually no tartar arond the bottom of my teeth) - as if I needed another dental worry! I then thought, of course we werent meant to be scrubbing away at our gums, so I now keep floss away from them and brush in one direction from the gums over the teeth with a manual toothbrush and carb soda + salt,  to see if I can help matters. The worst thing is, my husband brushes perfunctorily, eats non-paleo and doesnt even floss, and when he recently had to see a dentist for a repair
 after many years, the dentist didnt utter a single reproach - so I guess I must have a congenital weakness!

Anyway, I think I may try a proper mercury detox as maybe the mercury from my previous fillings is still lingering, especially in the brain - Richard, are you going to just do what it says in the website you posted the link for (above) or do you have other info? Some of the warnings in that web-page scare me a bit! Also, what is the full name of the supplements mentioned (DMSA, ALS, DMPS)?  Are you going to do this on your own, and how will you know when to stop?
Thanks very much for any advice you can give!

Cheers, Ozzie