From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:17:44 +0100
Hi Wade,

On Aug 17, 2004, at 5:19 am, Wade Reeser wrote:
> Extended low carbohydrate diets are known to lower levels of T3.  (I
> think
> that is the one from memory).  T3 is the far more active from of
> thyroid
> hormone (compared to T4).  This effect is discussed somewhat using the
> medical literature in Rob Fagin's 'Natural Hormone Enhancement' book.

This is an interesting result- but I can't help feeling that if
low-carb diets reduce T3 levels over time, that that is a deliberate
evolutionary adaptation.  Maybe it is to encourage the body to burn fat
over a longer period, unlike carbs which need to be burnt off quickly
after consumption?  My thinking is that if my thyroid starts producing
less T3, it is getting a much needed rest.  I was previously always a
big starch eater, and I could eat as much bread or pasta as I wanted
with no chance of getting fat.  But I've still got acne after 6 months
of paleo, and I am thinking maybe I have "thyroxine resistance" (using
the idea loosely...) alongside insulin resistance.

> A solution is to mix a largely low carbohydrate diet with periodic high
> carbohydrate feedings to keep T3 in 'normal' ranges.  Fagin recommends
> carbo feedings every three/four days of low carb diet.  Personally, I
> eat a
> relatively high carbo diet every Friday night/Saturday with the rest
> of the
> week low carb.  It works for me; weight loss and weight control.

When you say relatively high carb, what do you mean?  Lots of fruit,
carrots, parsnips etc, or do you eat grains and potatoes on Friday and
Saturday?  I am only just starting low-carb (no vegetable matter apart
from leaves) so I will give it a while before I start experimenting
with high-carb days.

Regards
Ashley