From:
Kristina Carlton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2004 05:25:23 -0500
>What can  peope on the list tell me about /Dr. Mercola's book 'Total
>Health Cookbook & Program' ?

>SteveL

It's interesting and gives a great overview and explanation of metabolic
typing without being too scientific for the average person. Whereas 'The
Metabolic Typing Diet' by William Wolcott is probably too comprehensive and
scientific (unless you are a health practitioner), Mercola's book is more of
an overview but definitely explains the concept.

If you are interested in taking the test, however, I would opt for The
Metabolic Typing Diet. It has around 65 questions while Mercola's book only
has 9 questions. I find it hard to believe that you can get an accurate
result with only 9 questions. Since they are based on personal
experience/feelings anyhow (and I was trying hard to answer honestly versus
what I thought would get me the hoped for result) I felt more comfortable
doing the more comprehensive test.

About 165 of the 250 pages are recipes. They are good, but you can probably
get plenty of good recipes from the paleo recipe list. He divides the
recipes into the 3 metabolic types by adding additional protein for the
protein types for example, or substituting one veggie for another.

I really like Mercola, I do searches on his web frequently and I read his
twice weekly newsletter, but all in all I didn't think the book was worth
the money. If your goal is to find out what your metabolic type is I would
get The Metabolic Typing Diet from the library, take the test, and then take
the book back.

Just my 2.3 cents worth.