From:
Sharon M <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 22:00:23 -0400
Mara wrote:

> The problem was that someone had found higher levels of aluminum in _some_
> alzheimer's patients' brains.  But I think the connection with cookware was
> never conclusively proven; and, IMO, it would be more likely to get into
> one's brain from other sources.

I believe what has been proven is that any acidic foods (tomato,
cranberry) will "etch" the aluminum off the pan and into the food. Ever
see a spaghetti sauce cooking in a discolored aluminum pan? Everwhere
the sauce is in contact you will find very shiny aluminum. Foil, for
cold storage, with only the shiny side touching the food is said to be
safe. (the non-shiny side has a coating of some chemical).

Sharon M