AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Wilmot B. Valhmu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:09:27 -0700

Join African Association of Madison, Inc. for $25 per year

Mail check to; AAM, PO Box 1016, Madison, WI 53701,
www.AfricanAssociation.org

Tell me, what's THE point of this article?  To tell us
that the "international community" (namely, the world
powers) control world affairs?  OK, we know now, or,
more accurately, we already knew.  Now what?

If this article and others like it prompts us and our
leaders in Africa to press hard for AND PRACTICE good
governance and take care of the welfare of our people,
irrespective of what the "international community" is
doing, then I applaud the author.  Otherwise, I say,
so what?!?

- Wilmot

--- Sam Jimba <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Join African Association of Madison, Inc. for $25
> per year
>
> Mail check to; AAM, PO Box 1016, Madison, WI 53701,
> www.AfricanAssociation.org

> Charles Taylor and the international community
> By Edwin Madunagu, The Guardian (Nigeria), April 13,
> 2006
> The story of Charles Taylor - just like those of
> Slobodan Milosevic of Yugoslavia and Saddam Hussein
> of Iraq, among others -shows very clearly the nature
> and character of the forces that now rule the world,
> the near-total control they exert over our affairs,
> and the roles they make us, or rather, our
> "leaders", play. They call themselves the
> "international community" and, under that cover,
> commit heinous crimes and tell horrible lies.
> Uncritically we appropriated the term, and use it as
> if it includes us. But the term "international
> community" does not include us and was not meant to.
> There is, of course, a reconstituted global system
> which is dominated by the new imperialism.
> This global system now exercises power over the
> United Nation (UN), the International War Crimes
> Tribunal, the World Bank, the International Monetary
> Fund (IMF), the World Trade Organisation (WTO), etc.
> These institutions are, today, not world
> institutions - as we used to know them, or as we
> used to believe - but the institutions of the global
> system created and dominated by the new imperialism,
> or what it calls itself: the International
> Community.
> The leading economic organisation of the new
> imperialism is the G7 whose summit brings together
> the Heads of Governments of the seven most
> industrialised capital countries. Samir Amin has
> described the World Bank as the Ministry of
> Propaganda for the G7. Of the World Trade
> Organisation (WTO) he had this to say: "the WTO, far
> from being an institution responsible for managing
> world trade, is devoted to the objective of shaping
> the productive systems of the peripheries to the
> needs of the commercial expansion of the North, that
> is, to operate like a Collective Ministry of
> Colonies." The International Monetary Fund (IMF) he
> called the "Collective Colonial Monetary Authority
> of the new imperialism."
> The new imperialism is re-writing our own history
> before our very eyes. And, on the basis of this
> false version - backed by bribery , blackmail,
> sanctions, threats and force - they are demonising
> their former allies, stooges and agents among us.
> The falsehood is not that the "war lords" were
> demons and villains. They were. The falsehood is in
> the account of how they became demons and villains,
> and how they were able to do what they did. To
> legitimise, or cover up, historical falsehood the
> international community enrols us as sheer leaders
> in their unilaterally designed and controlled
> process of justice and restitution. Thus we are
> barred from the whole truth, and sometimes, any
> truth at all.
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

On February 1, 2006, our AAM discussion list changed to a new service, ICORS. If you experience any trouble accessing the list, please contact the list managers at <[log in to unmask]>.

TO POST TO THE LIST, send email to --

AAM Website:  http://www.africanassociation.org [under construction]